April 10, 2010

Vocation Journey Series: A Chance to Serve (A Reflection from my Installation)

In a typical lunch in the seminary when our rector announced and reminded us First and Second Year Theologians to prepare ourselves for our upcoming Installation to the Ministries of Lector and Acolyte on August. Our rector’s announcement was also the start of writing our petition letters to our respective bishops and reading again the guidelines ‘Motu Propio’ of Pope Paul VI. A scheduled seminar on the lectorate and acolytate will be conducted again either by Fr. Tim Ofrasio, SJ or Fr. Gene Diwa. Preparations such as purchasing albs for our class, making invitations and liturgy practices for the Installation are one of those busy days which we can write in journal of our seminary life.

But more to the preparations (materially if you may want to call it), what we are preparing is not simply an installation rite but rather a more meaningful and different level of service most especially the ministry that we are receiving: the Ministry of Acolyte. Why is this meaningful?

Before the installation day, I had a Spiritual direction with my Spiritual Director, (a fitting way to prepare for an installation!). He asked me that question and I answered, ‘because I waited for a year to finally receive the ministry’. The answer that I have given may not sound too convincing but we went in-depth. Perhaps, synonymous to the question of ‘Why is this meaningful?’ is the question ’How special is this ministry that I am going to receive?’. Amidst of excitement that I felt before the installation day, mixed emotions were felt; joy, fear, unworthiness…

It was then through spiritual direction that I came up with a realization that it was God’s grace that makes it so special…the grace of sharing the Body of Christ to the people. I also become the minister who assists in giving communion and the privileged to give the body of Christ to the people is a special gift that the ministry of acolyte can impart. A special gift that can truly be treasured. This is another chance for me to serve him in a manner more profound and honored. But there’s a feeling of unworthiness…unworthy in the sense that I am not the person qualified for that job but still I am called to serve. Despite my weakenesses, He has called me to this level of service…that’s another grace from God!

And it was during our Installation to the Ministry of Acolyte that I really felt something extraordinary and understood so much the meaning and joy of being called to this service despite unworthiness.

The hope that I prayed when I received the chalice and paten from the installing prelate…

Lord here I am, ready to serve and love you, give me the grace to love you even more despite my frailties and grant me the strength to fervently serve you with my entire life!